Wednesday 14 August 2013

Intro to Carp

     I had another opportunity to go fishing with my cousin, and this time it was for carp. I found the gear to be very elaborate, at least compared to what I was normally used to. We used a hair rig that allows the corn to be added to a loop under the hook, and a plastic hairstop that prevents the corn from coming off. We had sliding sinkers with detachable weights that allow the carp to run without feeling the weight, and if we get snagged, the weight will come off. This also allows the carp to survive if we get snagged and broken off, which is important foreshadowing. I had also never had experience with chumming before, we tossed a ton of boiled corn into our fishing spot to keep the carp in the area when they move through.

     The location involved a little bit of hiking and some tricky footwork over lots of loose rocks that are placed all around the water (I presume they are for preventing erosion?). The waves were quite strong here, so was the wind, and since we were not using a bolt rig, it would be difficult to tell when the bites were occurring.

     I noticed a few tiny taps on my line and set the hook. Nothing. I kept thinking I saw something bite and kept setting the hook into open water. On around the 5th try I felt some weight. The fish didn't like that and immediately started peeling drag. I learned how to really fight a fish this time. Keeping the rod tip high, and not reeling against the drag. (I kept reeling against the drag and learned from my cousin that that only twists your line.) After the lonest battle with a fish I have had to date, we had the carp on shore.

     I went in a few inches of water with the carp, my cousin took the hook out and I lifted it up for a photo... then I proceeded to get fish slapped in the face and the carp made it free.

     My cousin hooked up next and after a short fight, he brought in a massive Freshwater Drum. My cousin showed me how to use a centerpin rod and reel while bringing it in. The idea of using the friction of your had as the drag was a little unnerving, but I would get the next chance to catch a fish on it. Although, this was probably not intentional.

     My cousin left to grab some more corn from his bag, and the centerpin rod got a few ferocious taps. I ran over and set the hook into a big fish. I went to pass it off to my cousin who told me to catch it. It took a while to get used to the set up, and with much weaker line than what I am used to, it was tricky to persuade the carp where to go.

     I had gotten the carp just close enough to shore to get a good glimpse of it when it came to the surface. It was much bigger then the first one, and showed it. It dove deep, I let it take line patiently letting it run and then I felt much more weight than usual. Too much weight, I could not reel in. I tried freeing the line from the snag. After a little working, it came free, and so did the fish.

     I had to go to work at this point and was a little bummed that I didn't get a photo. At the same time I was just so happy to have had the opportunity to try and tame these behemoths. Since this trip Carp have become one of my favourite fish to target. They fight extremely well, they grow big, and you can catch quite a few on a good day.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment